Thursday, September 12, 2013

Soccer Supa Stars!!

Since my girls kick so much booty on the soccer field, I like to make them cakes that appropriately reflect this fact. After all, they are the reason that I started making cakes in the first place. So, I decided to post some of the soccer cakes that I've done for my girls' parties. Plus, posting these cake pictures one by one is gettin' old. I've got too many pictures for that! Lol.

Let's go in succession here.

#1. This is one of the first soccer cakes I ever made for my daughter. Looking back at this picture.....there are so many things that I could say...but I won't. I can say that I have learned A LOT!
I baked the ball in a soccer ball baking pan. Wilton has their line of different shaped cake pans. I love that they have this but I don't much like the directions that they give for decorating them. I'm not a big fan of the star tip dots so the guide lines on the inside of the baking pans more or less just drive me crazy instead of helping guide....anything! That forces me to go about the decorations on my own. Which is definately apparent from the above picture!! Lol. I covered the ball in white marshmallow fondant, used black gel icing to make the pentagons and I used my long knife to make the indents where the stitching would be. For the cupcakes, I used the infamous grass tip, rolled up some fondant for the mini soccer balls and made the dots with a black edible marker, and wrote all the players names in white chocolate. I have to say that I remember writing each name at least 3 times! I broke so many of those. It was a shame.

#2. This was made after a little more practice. It was simple enough that I didn't have structural issues. It was also one of the few cakes that I used toys on instead of fondant/gumpaste decorations. My only issue with this cake is the messy writing on the side. I think I was getting ready to walk out the door to head to the party when I realized that I wanted to put some writing on the side. The outcome was not pretty!

This was a 9x13, 2 layer vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream. The soccer ball is cake as well. I carved a small sphere out of cake and cut out the pentagons and hexagons from a small template that my husband printed out for me. I'm in love with how the ball turned out....especially in comparison to the picture before this! Lol. I used white chocolate to write Storm, and that little think sticking out of the cake behind the ball is supposed to be a lightning bolt. I got the plastic goals and trophy from Party City. The set came with some soccer players too but they were odd looking. Plus this was a girls soccer team cake so I don't think it would have been appreciated.

#3. As I look at this picture now, I think it's slightly leaning to the right. Oops. Might have been the beer in the background! Hell, it didn't fall and that's what matters!!
This cake was for my older daughter's End of Season soccer party last year. Again, vanilla cake and vanilla buttercream frosting. At least my girls are simple in that respect!

 This was actually not supposed to be a 2 tier cake. I think I was going to make something similar to cake #2. Fortunately for the Slammers soccer team, the other order for this weekend was cancelled after I'd baked the cakes already, leaving extra cake (and time) to make a cool cake for them! In the end, I was pretty happy with this cake. I know this post has been a whole lotta me bashing my old cakes but I think I'm over it now. :-)
The soccer ball on top was carved out of cake and covered in fondant pentagons and hexagons ( not as pretty as the previous soccer ball, but I said I was done bashing my cakes so...). The stars were blue, orange and white fondant. The team name was orange chocolate that I melted into letter molds and piped some little steaks on the bottom so that I could stick them into the cake so they stood up securely.
The Mt. Rainier was what I really loved about this cake. I printed out a generic picture of a mountain and put some wax paper over the picture. Then, I used melted white chocolate in a piping bag to outline the mountain and fill in all the white spots, leaving the darker spots open so that you'd be able to see the green frosting behind it. Then I just took the rest of the green frosting and started piping a crap-load of grass everywhere! Can't go wrong with grass on a soccer cake!!

#4. Short and sweet! This cake was for a party my younger daughters team had after winning their first summer tournament ( they went on to win all of their summer tournaments this year!!). Although I would like to say that it didn't take me very long... that would be a lie. The logo was hand made and it took me a while to get all the colors and shapes just right.
I printed out the logo and cut out the different shapes that I needed. Then I just pieced it together and threw it on the top of the cake. Some green chocolate letters and a little border and that bad boy was headed out the door!

#5. I've pretty much given up on trying to put these in chonological order. I'm pretty sure that the next cake was done around the same time at soccer cake #3....maybe....

This was my first attempt at modeling chocolate ( the chilli peppers) and it didn't turn out like I thought it would have or should have. I mixed some red Candy Melts with some light corn syrup. And when I say "some", I mean "Too flipping much!" I cannot take responsibility for this failure....it's the recipes fault! The modeling chocolate was too soft and it didn't take much handling to compromise the shape of the chilli pepper as I was trying to mold it. I could have tried to fix the recipe but I didn't have time for that nonsense. I will try again with the modeling chocolate soon. I think there are some cakes that I would like to use it for :)

I'm pretty sure that is all of the soccer cakes I have pictures of. Unfortunately, I can think of at least 3 cakes that I never got photos of ( good job!). Oh well.
I do have a couple of basketball cakes that I'm going to have to post soon.
See you then!!

Cheers~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment